Working with partner organisations enables more ESOL learners to enjoy and benefit from our exhibitions, collections and our ESOL offer.
Through our projects and partnership events we:
• Make our collections and exhibitions accessible to all
• Connect with our communities
• Use art to make ESOL relevant to people’s lives and experiences
• Create conditions for curiosity and social interaction
• Help people find inspiration through art
• Give people opportunities to have meaningful conversations in English.
We have two current partnerships with Talk English Manchester and Refugee Action.
Talk English and create
Our monthly Talk English and create sessions invites four Talk English community classes to visit the gallery for a creative session. Artist Andy Fear creates an opportunity for tutors and their learners to be inspired by art on display and respond creatively in our learning studios. Tutors are given prompts and encouraged to lead their students in an activity exploring parts of the gallery and then to continue conversations in English whilst experimenting with making art.
Manchester Art Gallery has worked on a range of programmes with Refugee Action since 2009. We are currently supporting the Life in the UK gateway initiative by introducing newly arrived refugees and asylum seekers to the gallery.
If you’re a ESOL organisation and are interested in working with us please get in touch:
Ruth Edson, Learning Manager: Communities
Tel: 0161 2358877