Two square earthenware tiles, probably dust-pressed, with overglaze decoration hand-painted in copper lustre. The design is of scrolling stylised foliage.The tiles are commercial blanks, probably obtained by De Morgan from Staffordshire and possibly from Wedgwood. He used such tiles 1870-1872 while carrying out experiments at 40 Fitzroy Square in an attempt to develop a lustre technique (this before starting in 1872 to make his own tiles, whose greater robustness suited them for his hand-transferred 'Persian' decorations). It is possible that these tiles were intended to be further decorated with animal designs, as several tiles of this type are known.
approx: 20.3cm x 20.3cm
Place of creation