Free, bookable spaces
A free space to talk, meet, get together and get things done
If you’d like to get together to talk, meet or make we have two spaces and resources free for non-profit groups. We are especially interested in supporting people who are looking to make Manchester a better place to live, work and play.
The studio can accommodate up to 30 people and the Trading Station gathering space, 20. Both are available 7 days per week during gallery opening hours – excluding Monday morning.
We have an open door policy for the use of both spaces – this means activities can be accessed by all visitors to the gallery. If the open door ethos is not appropriate for your gathering, please use the space in the booking form to highlight the reasons why you want your activity to be private. As it is within a public gallery the Trading Station space cannot be made private.
Studio One facilities
There are tea/coffee making facilities, tables and chairs. Please note there are no permanent AV facilities in Studio One, but if AV would be useful for your activity, please let us know when booking. N.B. Studio One is always in use on Wednesday afternoons with Streetwise Opera rehearsals.
Trading Station facilities
There are 16 stools, 4 wooden armed chairs and 4 tables which can be easily rearranged or stacked, and a sofa area. Feel free to use the space as you wish.
There are no permanent AV facilities in the Trading Station space. As it is so close to artworks and collections, unfortunately, we cannot allow food and drink in the space. We also cannot hold making sessions in the space that are messy. Please check with us before planning a making activity.
Both spaces can be booked using the form below.
We chose the studio because it is a unique, accessible and most importantly free space.
Youth Strike 4 Climate, Manchester
Studio One calendar
Book a space
Please read the Ts&Cs below, check for free dates using the calendar and then complete the form with as many details as possible.
Available times: 10.30am–12.30pm and 2pm–4pm
We will confirm the booking as soon as possible, this may take up to a week.
Terms and conditions
In booking a space at Manchester Art Gallery, the individual and/or group agree to the following:
- Users must not touch artworks on display, including any frames, glass or labels. Even clean hands can damage surfaces.
- All users must tidy up after each session and leave the space as it was found. Furniture must not be removed.
- All breakages and any damage must be reported immediately to a member of the gallery staff.
- When using the free drink making facilities in the studio, please ensure that cups are washed up, and spillages are cleaned. Drinks must not be taken out of the studio.
- If you wish to bring in equipment for use this must be specified at the point of booking and will need to have been PAT tested in advance and have valid PAT test sticker.
- As the spaces are open to the public during meeting sessions, behaviour must take into account other users.
- The gallery accepts no responsibility for damage to equipment or materials brought into the gallery.
- The gallery is a place for open debate where people can feel comfortable in expressing and hearing opinions, exploring nuance and complexity in a supportive environment. We encourage lively debate, open discussion and differences of opinion.
- We are committed to ensuring that the gallery is a safe, inclusive and respectful place for all users. The gallery does not tolerate discrimination or harassment of others on the basis of:
- sex or gender identity
- ethnicity or race
- religious belief
- sexual orientation